The international jury of the 54th annual World Press Photo Contest has selected a picture by Jodi Bieber from South Africa as the World Press Photo of the Year 2010
A portrait of 18-year-old Afghan Bibi Aisha, whose nose and ears were cut off by the Taliban husband she’d fled, is the World Press Photo organization’s 2010 Photo of the Year. South African photographer Jodi Bieber’s image, made forTime magazine, became controversial when it appeared on that publication’s cover in July 2010.
“This could become one of those pictures—and we have maybe just ten in our lifetime—where if somebody says ‘you know, that picture of a girl … ,’ you know exactly which one they’re talking about,” said jury chair David Burnett in a statement on the winning photo.
- The World Press Photo Exhibition (travelwyse.wordpress.com)
- Iconic Photographer Steve McCurry Talks Blogging and WordPress (angiesgrapevine.wordpress.com)
- World Press Photo 2012 – Difficult but worthwhile viewing (aliasreviews.wordpress.com)
- World Press Photo Exhibition (dualshow.com)
- Iconic Photographer Steve McCurry Talks Blogging and WordPress (en.blog.wordpress.com)